The medical studies in Croatia are getting slowly into the scope of international students from all over the world. We will describe the program General medicine offered by the School of medicine – University of Zagreb. The program is offered in the English language.
Croatia is part of the European Union, so the medical degree from Zagreb is widely accepted in European Union without need of any extra exams.
Medical program at University of Zagreb
The medical program takes 6 years and graduates get degree of Doctor of General medicine. There are maximum 50 seats offered for international students. Enrollment is done in September, classes are starting at the beginning of October. Nostrification of secondary school leaving certificate is mandatory for enrollment in the Winter semester at the School of medicine.
There is one intake for the medical program, which is in Winter semester.
Tuition fees and related fees
The tuition fee is 12,000 Euro per year if paid at once, or 12,200 Euro if paid in two installments, prior to the beginning of each semester.
Application is open until 2 weeks before the entrance exam as per the schedule published on the Schools page. The exam will be available from january to the beginning of July. Admission will be done based on evaluation of secondary school grades and written exams from biology, chemistry, and physics. The entrance exam in 2022 was performed in online way. Applicants, who get conditional acceptance letter, need to pay 2500€ as first installment for their tuition fees within 10 days. If the amount is not paid, the study place is offered to students below the line. Final acceptance letter will be issued after payment of the first installment.
Students with the following results might be exempted from the entrance exam:
1. a pre-medical college or passed internationally recognized exams (MCAT – with minimal score 125 for each section)
2. Applicants who have earned a BA/Bsc degree in natural sciences with good credits in Biology, Physics, Chemistry
3. Applicants who have taken SAT Subject Tests in Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, with the minimal score of 600 in each subject
4. Applicants who have taken the Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) last year
Registration documents for the entrance exam
You need the following documents in order to register for entrance exam:
- Completed application form
- Originals or notary copies of secondary school leaving certificates and transcript of records – in English or sworn translation to Croatian language
- copy of passport
- 2 photos, max 6 months old
- application fee paid to bank account, amount: 200€
- Confirmation on medical eligibility for studies – not older than 1 months
- original or notary copies of birth certicate
- financial statement, that student has enough funds for studies abroad
- English language certificate confirming studies at C1 level
Deadline for submission of documents is middle of June.
Students need to pass an entrance exam in Biology, Physics, and chemistry at the secondary school level. There will be 120 questions with 40 questions from each division. Applicants need to have at least 15 points / 40 from each division, but minimally 61 points totally.
Dates of the entrance exams can be checked on this page: https://mse.mef.unizg.hr/admission/admission-requirements/
You can check the template of the test and requirements from each division on this page: https://mse.mef.unizg.hr/admission/entrance-exam/
Housing and accommodation for students
About the city of Zagreb
Zagreb is the capital of Croatia. It has over 800.000 inhabitants and is well known also as touristic destination.
Transfer of studies to University of Zagreb
There are no official information about possibility of transfer to the University of Zagreb.
More details about studies in English at University of Zagreb: https://mse.mef.unizg.hr/