Studying in Cyprus is getting popular as universities do offer medical programs in English language. I will do note at the beginning that one can refer to universities in Cyprus in two options: the Republic of Cyprus, member of the EU, Schengen and Eurozone (1) or North Cyprus Turkish Republic, which is an area recognized basically only by the Turkey republic.
This division has important implications for recognition of obtained degree – while EU education opens your door to work in any country in the European Union, studying in North Cyprus poses various problems. First of all, students cannot travel in Schengen zone or ask for recognition of completed education in the EU. Secondly, even if they get a job in Europe, they will need to travel to Embassy in Istanbul for submitting requests for visas or RP in Europe.
The location of schools in Cyprus will be therefore described with each university below:
- European University Cyprus School of Medicine – private university located in Cyprus – General medicine and Bachelor in Dental Surgery
- The University of Cyprus – a public university located in Nicosia, Cyprus – 3 semesters program called Precision medicine in clinical practice.
- The University of Nicosia – collaboration with St George’s University of London (dual degree) – private university located in Cyprus – 6 years program of General medicine and 4 years program of Advanced General medicine
- Faculty of medicine, East Meditarean University – Famagusta, North Cyprus
- Near East University – North Cyprus
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Kyrenia – North Cyprus
- Cyprus International University – North Cyprus
1. European University Cyprus /EUC) – School of medicine
The private university is located in Cyprus and offers internationally recognized degrees. They have obtained 5 star rating from QS TOP UNIVERSITIES (QS Stars University Ratings) which took the following aspects into consideration: the program’s competitiveness and strength, overall student satisfaction, faculty-student ratio and graduate employment rate. The university has accreditation by the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and graduates has ECFMG Eligibility in case they wish to work as doctors in the USA or Canada (so graduates are eligible to apply for USMLE exam).
The School of Medicine, EUC is officially recognised by the European Parliament and Council on the IMI (Internal Market Information System) platform. This provides the EUC Medical Graduates with a “European Professional Passport”, promoting their mobility to work or train within the European Economic Area.
There are the following study programs offered in the English language:
1. General medicine (6 years program, 360 ECTS) – 19.000€ per year.
The program ends with Doctor of medicine and has international recognition in Europe. Students can go for internships or clinical subjects in hospitals in 10 countries. There is one intake every September. There will be also new branch of the University opened in Frankfurt for General medicine since 2022. Students will apply online, attach academic records from their secondary school and pay application fee of 52€. To be considered for admission, candidates must have an average grade corresponding to 90% or above or its equivalent on their high school leaving certificate. All applicants must have passed Biology plus one of the following subjects: Chemistry, Maths or Physics at their native country’s national exams or will need to have passed GCE A’ levels in the respective subjects or their equivalent. English certificate is needed as well. Applicants will submit a personal statement, recommendations from 3rd party for studies at university and take online interview. Those who passes need to pay first installment of the fees to secure their place in the medical program.
2. Bachelor in Dental Surgery (5 years program)
2. University of Cyprus – Medical school
The school is offering only a postgraduate program of Precision medicine in clinical practice. It has a duration of 3 academic semesters (maximum 8 semesters) and requires the completion of 90 ECTS (60 ECTS courses & 30 ECTS thesis). Undergraduate program is not offered.
3. University of Nicosia – Medical school
The university is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools, while students are coming from 80 different countries (approximately 1000 international students). It is the largest medical university in Cyprus. Students have access to Centre for Neuroscience and Integrative Brain Research (CENIBRE), The Centre of Medical Education (CME), The Ultrasound InstituteThe Epidemiology Research Group, The Cancer Prevention and Holistic Management Research Group and other top class institutes during their studies.
As per the The 2021 “QS World University Rankings: EECA”, the University of Nicosia places among the top 4% of universities in the Emerging Europe and Central Asia (EECA) Region, with the University ranking #126 among 3,300 tertiary institutions across 24 countries.
There are the following study programs being offered:
1. 6 years medicine in General medicine – the degree is recognised internationally. The MD programme has been quality approved by the Cyprus Ministry of Education & Culture’s Evaluation Committee of Private Universities. Students form small groups for better interactions with teachers and better study experience. The programme has recognition from the World Federation for Medical Education
(WFME) and Graduates are eligible to return to the U.S. or Canada to participate in residency match programmes and take the USMLE or MCCEE, and Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) verification for those seeking to go the USA.Clinical rotations are starting with 2nd year. Fees are 18.000€ for 1st, 2nd and 3rd year and 22.000€ for 4th, 5th and 6th year. Admission is based on submitting academic documents with special concern to Biology, Chemistry, physics and mathematics. English certificate is also needed. Students will then take online or offline interview, based on which will get admission.
2. 4-years advanced program in General medicine (collaboration with Saint George University of London) – the program is suitable for graduates of health sciences in similar field. Students will get UK medical degree allowing medical practice pathways worldwide with USMLE preparation and other national licensing exams. Tuition fees are 30.000€ regardless of nationality. Application fee is 60€, annual living cost will be at least 10.000€. Admission process: The emphasis will be on regular assessments with detailed feedback throughout. The format of the assessments will include single best answer multiple choice questions, short answer questions, and Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs).
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.1 class honours or equivalent (3.3 GPA in the USA, 3.2 in Canada) or a higher degree (e.g., MSc, MPhil or PhD) in any discipline,
- Work or voluntary experience in a medical or health-related field, demonstrate a broad awareness of the scope of medicine,
3. Master degree in Family medicine
4. Master of Public Health
5. Master in Health Services Administration
North Cyprus medical universities
As mentioned before, universities in North Cyprus do not comply with EU regulations. In other words, a degree from Cyprus might not be an ideal solution for those of you, who would like to work in the medical field as doctor of dentists in the European Union and wish to avoid a lengthy recognition process.
While Cyprus is a worldwide recognizable country and has been accepted as such as one whole piece and not devided in Europe. Turkey has invided Cyprus in 1974 and then created a “state” (Northern Cyprus) in 1983, which is not recognizable by none. Unfortunately, there is no control over this part of Cyprus by the legally recognizable government of the Republic of Cyprus, in order to be able to enforce European Laws. There have been though efforts to help Turkish Cypriots legally promote their products throughout Europe.
4. Faculty of medicine, East Meditarean University
The faculty offers 2 programs: Medicine (Joint Program with Iran University of Medical Sciences) with duration of 7 years and Medicine (Joint Program with Marmara University, Turkey) with a duration of 6 years. The school is listed in ECFMG: Educational Commission For Foreign Medical Graduates and World Directory of Medical Schools. The tuition fees for one semester is 10.870,94 USD, anual tuition fees are 20.161,00 USD.
For Application the following documents are needed:
- Photocopies of Higher Secondary School Certificate and transcript (mark sheets).
- One passport-sized photograph
- Photocopy of the passport (relevant page) or birth certificate
- A copy of proof of English Proficiency if any -All applicants for whom English is a second language are required to take EMU English Proficiency Exam, or present documents demonstrating their English proficiency level.
During the first three years of core preclinical training, the curriculum encompasses student-centered training in basic sciences, ethics, application of evidence based medicine principles, development of professional skills as well as special study modules on human sciences, behavioral science, philosophy, natural science, social sciences, communication skills, arts and IT classes of their choice. During the fourth and fifth years, students are provided with applied practices such as the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. During their final year, students take an active role in patient care under the supervision of their instructors. Students may also benefit from one of the elective courses on “family medicine”.
5. Near East University
NEU is a full member of the International Association of Universities (IAU), European Universities Association (EUA) and is also a full member of the Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW). Also, NEU has international memberships and accreditation like International Society for Engineering Education (IGIP) and The Joint Commission International (JCI).
It offers programs of Medicine – €12,600 per year +5% VAT (6 years program) and Dentistry – €11.600 per year + 5% VAT (5 years program). For application, secondary school leaving certificate, passport, reference letter from secondary school, bank declararation and passport pictures are needed.
6. Faculty of Medicine, University of Kyrenia
The faculty offers programs in General medicine (12.600€ per year) or Dentistry (11,600€ per one year). It is a private university operating since 2013.
7. Cyprus International University Faculty of medicine
University is offering undergraduate program General medicine (6-years program) with various scholarships