There are various reasons why students are considering changing their university: they might not be happy with their choice of medical, dentistry or pharmacy university. Some universities (e.g. in Hungary) are also considerably more expensive and the transfer may save a lot of money for students. There are also options when students are expelled because of one or two subjects not completed. We are specialists with studies and transfers to medical universities in Slovakia and will gladly share our knowledge regarding transfers.
There are 3 faculties of medicine in Slovakia:
1. Faculty of medicine in Bratislava, Comenius University – this faculty is rarely accepting transfer students to higher then 2nd year. Even in case of transfers, its necessary to have 90% of all courses completed. We do not suggest Faculty of medicine in Bratislava as option for transfer students
2. Jessenius Faculty of medicine in Martin, Comenius University – 2022 update: the faculty is also accepting transfer students for the course of General medicine. Direct transfer is possible in case of completing all subjects at previous studies, in case of missing exams, the entrance exam and recognition of completed subjects is required.
3. Faculty of medicine, Pavel Jozef Safarik University in Kosice – 2022 update: the faculty accepts transfer students up to 4th year /there is new directive, please see below.
New directive: from 1.9.2022, only 180 credits from the previous studies might be recognised which makes transfers only to 4th year possible.
Please read the whole directive:
The maximum total number of credits that can be recognized as completed compulsory and compulsory elective subjects during previous unfinished studies at medical faculties of universities other than UPJŠ may not exceed 180 credits, while their number obtained in one academic year may not exceed 90 credits. If the period of study in the last academic year at the given university lasted only for one semester, the number of obtained credits for this semester may not exceed the value of 60 credits.
This article will be about all necessary steps how to transfer to Faculty of medicine in Kosice. If you have any doubts, please contact us by calling +420778891055 (working also on Whatsupp) or texting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lets discuss two cases:
1. you wish to transfer because your studies were terminated or interrupted
2. you wish to transfer because you do not like your current university
1st case: Your studies have been terminated or interrupted
If your studies were terminated or interrupted, you need to take an entrance exam and ask for recognition of your completed courses. Simultaneously you may ask for unofficial information, to which school year you might be enrolled after passing the entrance exam in Kosice. Entrance exams take place twice a year (in June and August) and contain questions from biology and chemistry data banks. There are 100 questions from biology and 100 questions from chemistry (out of 600 questions in chemistry data bank and 600 questions in biology data bank). Maximally you may get 800 points (4 points for each question), for acceptance you will need minimum 600 points.
The most important thing is to ask for recognition of your completed courses from home university. Only subjects completed within the last 5 years are taken into consideration. Only compulsory or compulsory elective study subjects can be recognized (not optional subjects).
You need to ask for official syllabuses and transcripts of records at study department at Study department of your medical faculty (there must be stamp of your faculty). Please note that you need to ask for the syllabus of subjects from the year,you were studying (e.g. if you studies in 2015, the syllabus must be matching). All documents submitted must be in Slovak, Czech or English language – otherwise official translation is needed.
Following documents are needed for recognition request:
- Application for course recognition (click to open)
- Course recognition form (click to open)
- Letter of Authorization (click to open)
You need to complete the whole process by 31st of August of requested year. There is only one intake for admission – in September. Transfer to Summer intake is not possible. The process takes minimum 30 days so the sooner you start, the better. If the course from your home university is recognized, then you will be awarded mark E – sufficient. There is fee of 2€ per subject for submission of recognition request (max. 15€ in total).
2nd case: you are a student of another university and wish to transfer
Transfer means the registration of the student from another university for a study program at the same level and the same or related study program offered by the Faculty of Medicine in Kosice. A very important criterion is that all your subjects had to be completed within the last 5 years and there is no subject pending from your official curriculum. If even one subject is missing, you will need to apply through the entrance exam.
The great advantage of transfer is, that you do not need to take an entrance examination. Only students whose studies have not been terminated or interrupted can apply for transfer, therefore. You may be enrolled in the 4th year starting in September (update from 1.9.2022 – only 180 credits from the previous studies can be recognised). Transfers to the Summer semester are not possible.
The deadline for the request is the 31st of August. The request must be filled in a written form, signed, and submitted by a student. Documents must be in English or in Slovak – otherwise, there is a need to translate and verify them by a notary.
Request for transfer must contain:
- original transcripts
- the syllabus of the completed courses – with marks and dates of completion
- the confirmation that at the time of the request you are a student of the respective university
- filled out request forms (Courses recognition forms)
- delegation of power for MedHead.eu
- if there is a different grading system in your home country (e.g. in Russia marks vary from 1-10), then you will need to get confirmation how the system is working
Your request will be considered by the guarantee of the study program and the Management of Faculty. Important things are the syllabuses of courses in your home university and at the UPJS must be comparable (1) and they must do the same types of completion of the course (2).
Important: it is better to do transfer after 1st or 2nd year to avoid various problems. As I want to be fully transparent, I am publishing also problems with the recognition that occurred to students transferring from various universities to UPJS.
This process is quite time-consuming – take this into consideration. There is also an option to get an opinion regarding study grades from the Management of Faculty before you decide to apply for transfer.
An official decision on enrollment to the given school year
After successfully passing the entrance exam and submitting the recognition request of the completed courses, the management of the Faculty will decide about their recognition and the year which student will be accepted to. Do not forget that the deadline for submitting your request is 31th of August. Again – this is a quite a time-intensive procedure, so try to start with the application as soon as possible.
Documents that need to be submitted are:
- original transcripts – with a stamp from study department, full names, and dates of exams
- the syllabus of all completed subjects – with a stamp from study department
- filled out request forms
- confirmation of application fee (15€)
- delegation of power for MedHead.eu
Contact us now to get more information on transfers